Saturday, May 15, 2010

Value Study for The Farmer

How many of you do value and color studies? This one has been done courtesy of my prof. for a current project (sketch previously posted) to be completed in Photoshop. I think it reads really well, puts the focus on the farmer. That's where it needs to be, I think. I'll admit the only time I do these is when it's been required but I do very much see the value in it. I am usually in such a hurry to get to the end result, which a lot of the time does not end up like the picture in my head. So, maybe I need to get better at these to make the end result the best it can be.  Is this something you make it a habit to do?

3 comments:

k.h.whitaker said...

depends on what I am doing, if I am having trouble deciding and don't have a fixed image in my head I will do some small ones, larger than a thumbnail but still pretty small so I can compare. I'm kinda lazy and impatient though so I don't do it as a usual thing.

Tam Hess said...

I'm just now realizing the importance of value. I love the break through. Like a little light bulb went off above my head. *ding* Ohhhhh, I see the point! :) It's always good to approach a project with a meticulous eye.

Paige Keiser said...

Definitely a great thing to do, but like color testing on strips of paper and color studies, I've just never done them. I don't have the patience unfortunately :0( I probably have to scrap more illustrations because of that, but oh well. Good job on this one, your use of value gives it a lot of extra depth. Can't wait to see the finish!